Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Project : North Florida Shipyards


I'm excited to tell you about my new project. For the past week I've been painting down in the North Florida Shipyards. It began after a day painting in Memorial park for the North Florida Land Trust's Paint the Region, a friend and I ventured down to the shipyards area in search of some interesting things to paint. We were blown away by the forms. We both agreed to make this a joint project however we each have our own perspective on things.
I'm still working out what it is that attracts me to this area. Maybe its because each vessel has a personality that speaks. It could be that it's a 'working' dock with real people toiling against the powerful forces of nature and the limitations of material. Its a busy place but bathed in the Florida sun, it can seem like its static. Though in overcast weather, the towering silhouettes of boats ghosting alongside the docks waiting for their fit out. There's much to study here. Its really an exercise in 'seeing' Enjoy the work. I'll be there for a while.
special thanks to Steve and Larry for the freedom to move around the place.
16"x12" Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment